girls and boys

virginia beach proper

staring out at the sea, my 4 year old niece and my elderly parents all in the distance, i thought of her laugh, i thought of her mind, i thought of the way she says the right things that no one else would think of. i thought of her as if my eyes opened, staring at the sun, the dawn, realizing with each wave on the shadowed sand, i was falling in love with her.

surrounded by beautiful teenage girls basking in the late summer's last breath, laughing, looking at fitted out teenage boys trying to get that early autumn lay. a couple bobs in the waves, hugging kissing laughing. i clutch my nieces hand, she reaches over and strokes my balding head. she asks if she can go out further in the water. she responds to my 'no' with an equally terse 'why?' because you're not old enough. besides, your mom would kill me.

later still

please please please release me from this. i long to sleep in my own bed. i long to be with my friends. i long to be at my local. i love you. i have fallen in love with you, friend. this afternoon surrounded by virginia teenage heat, i have fallen in love with you.

Comments

Popular Posts